Some facts discovered at Sticks n Stones Community Event
- imbalance of power
How to not become a victim of a bully
- coping skills, problem solving skills, self image, confidence and esteem
Stay connected to adults in their life
- Don't underestimate the part parents need to play in kids life
- Good structured time and activities
Sense of belonging
- establishing relationships of trust
As Parents What Can we do?
- Be the parent not the friend - have rules and clear expectations when using technology in the home.
- no technology in bedrooms
- use settings to block some things
- Read Netsafe online to learn about parental controls
There are no specific laws regarding cyber bullying!
Age groups greatest affected is 8 - 11 years
Biggest influence to create bullies include
- insecurity about themselves
- were bullied at some stage
1 in 5 kids are bullied in New Zealand!
Did you know?
- deleted texts can still be recovered
- photos posted online can remain online for much longer than you think even if you delete them
- you can check the history of searches of your computer