Thursday 20 February 2014

What does epistemic agency mean to me?

Someone kindly commented on one of my blog posts regarding epistemic agency. They asked me or dare I say challenged me in what this means for me in my classroom. It's such a great question because if I think about it, epistemic agency has completely changed the way I approach teaching, classroom management, assessment and interactions with my colleagues. 

Ownership and control are the two words that I believe can make or break the teaching and learning relationship. 

Who has the ownership of the learning process, achievements, goals, directions?
How does this affect intrinsic motivation to seek further success or inspire new thinking?

Who is in control of what happens in a day, what happens for learning, or how and where we learn? 

Epistemic agency has opened my eyes to new possibilities that could be achieved in the classroom if the ownership and choice without control is applied to classroom practices. 

So I can hear you all going yeah but there's so much to get through in a day, kids can't manage their lunch box or their shoes let alone their learning. 

Well that is true (for some). So how do we change that?
What is the first step? 

Do you have an idea? 

This question was our first question to the research, development and implementation of 4D learning. 

If you want to see it in action, ask a question, or know more email me, comment here. I'd love to hear from you. 

No comments: