University of Canterbury
2 March 2015
Joan Turner - Coordinator for PRT and Mentors throughout NZ
Success is not the work of one but the work of many
The Council may ask to see copies of the evidence of engaging with and meeting all of the Registered Teacher Criteria, but will not do so as a matter of course. The Council will only request this information when it can provide a reason for doing so.
PRT's have 6 years to complete their registration induction process
evidence of informed reflection developing prof relationships
evidence of engagement in, reflection of prof learning and development opportunities
Induction and mentoring program blocks of 6 weeks or more
PRT needs name and reg of mentor teacher
School applies for funding for teacher induction and mentoring program
Tailored to meet the needs of the prt - some things stable but other parts different - addressing goals
Use of time is allocated to schools.
Getting to know resources, systems, planning expectations,
Doing what makes sense for your PRT's
- · Be tailored to individual needs & agreed with the PRT, mentor teacher and professional leader
- · Include regular observations of teaching practice & opportunities to observe other colleagues including of the mentor teacher
- · Have time for “learning conversations” where the mentor provides feedback & facilitates critical reflection by the teacher on their practice
- · Be part of wider professional development & learning available to all staff
- · Include access to external networks and professional development opportunities
- · Provide opportunities to collect evidence of progress towards meeting the registration standards in the Registered Teacher Criteria (RTC)
- · Be resourced appropriately to meet the contractual obligations of the employer
- · Have formal written records documenting professional discussions, observations and feedback, critical reflections on data by the PRT and any other professional development.
- Induction & Mentoring – essential components (p13 compiled doc )
its not over and above what you are doing!
-range of perspectives - students, whanau, team, mentors and reflections
- range of sources - planning, student work, photos, observations, assessments, videos, meeting minutes
- systems to capture student voice?? - written reflections of action stations, videos of learning at Merrin. Only if your going to use the information
What could I do to help learning for you? - survey monkeys
student reflections at action stations and KC's from beg of week
One PRT's experience
link to teacher as inquiry
On RTC - add link to where to find evidence
Teachers Council don't want boxes of stuff, don't need hard copies of everything
1-1 meeting with mentor - What have I done so far that has made a difference? Link to Inquiry model.
Worrying things for Council- bad ERO report saying no support, teacher has had lots of breaks, appraisal not linked to RTC
When they are asking for more stuff they will specify what they want aligning with expectations.
Culturally Inclusive Teaching
- be a learner alongside learners
- sometimes getting an expert
- knowing having awareness
- knowing cultural protocols
- ako everyone is the teacher valuing student voice
- manaakitanga -
- Check out this resource - Tataiko as whole school resource
Kahikitia - accelrating success 2013 - 2017
- staff appraisals 1-1 meeting re meeting criteria
- systems to capture student voice?? - is this formalised? written reflections of action stations, videos of learning at Merrin. Only if your going to use the information
- What could I do to help learning for you? - survey monkeys
-overview of induction and Mentoring Prog
-upcoming PD requests formatted onto overview??
- whole school staff pd on ways to meet teacher criteria and blogs